market-farming - Re: Food processing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Food processing
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 06:59:32 -0400

Also - check out this site: www.cfsan.fda.gov. That will give you a
start on the regs. Your local health dept. should not have to be
involved here...

Robert - When I was in Jefferson Co, WV, my local health department was concerned about anything that involved food that was being sold. One time we advertised a fundraiser for the children's school on the property and mentioned that refreshments would be available. Although we had a county-certified kitchen, A county health inspector first called us and then came and inspected our site. (The upshot was that we could only 'sell' refreshments within x-number of feet of our kitchen door.)

More recently, the health department has told one of my commercial egg accounts that they cannot sell my eggs (restaurant) because they are not 'inspected.' While I think this inspector is in error, I have not had the time to pursue the validity of this statement. The same restaurantuer was told that in the future off-the-farm produce would have to be inspected before it can be sold through a restaurant.

One thing that has always concerned me is that extension in both Jefferson Co, WV and my current county in VA made any effort to stay abreast of health laws affecting small scale off-farm sales. In fact, they have been irritated by questions like 'How do I get my eggs inspected?' Instead of getting answers - or, heaven forbid, mentoring - I get routed to unknown persons at unknown offices that may oversee such matters.

You're right on the jams, I'm sure, because we have had people selling jams and jellies at the farmers market without health department intervention.

-Allan