market-farming - Re: beets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: beets
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:09:55 -0400

Ben-
We have successfully stored beets for months in a walk-in
cooler. We use the same method we have used for years with
carrots. Trim the beets leaving 1/4-1/2 inch stems attached. Don't
trim the roots. This prevents the color from leaking out when the
beets are cooked. Wash the beets and drain them. Store them in
perforated plastic bags. We lay the bags on the ground before use
and puncture them with a knife (quick and dirty!). Tie the tops of the
bags. They store very well.
Pam
Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, Va 23093

  • beets, RBCLO, 06/20/2002