market-farming - Re: farming in the heat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp2 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: farming in the heat
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:02:32 EDT

We work the mornings 7 to noon and then tell the hired workers to go home, or
they can come back in the evenings and work if they need the hours (6 til 9
pm). It's not good to harvest herbs in the heat of the day. Prolly applies to
other crops, too.
I have to tell you this story.
We hired Cambodians to help us hand harvest a seed crop in October. It was an
85 degree day and I was in shorts and a tank top and wide brimmed straw hat
(I was tempted to go down to my sports bra but I thought they might be
offended by that :-))
The men and women in the crew had on
insulated winter coats( the quilted kind)
sweaters
what looked like summer dresses draped around their necks
heavy gloves
big straw hats
long pants- heavy ones
boots

I was dying and finally asked them "How can you stand all that clothing
on-don't you feel like you're going to pass out?"
"It is only hot for about 15 minutes until you begin to sweat. Then we feel
cool under the clothing."
Have never tried myself!
Barb
Oak Camp Herb Farm

  • farming in the heat, Nan Johnson, 06/10/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: farming in the heat, OakCamp2, 06/10/2002