market-farming - RE: Bed shapers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "lacroverfarm" <farmers AT lacroverfarm.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Bed shapers?
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 07:43:54 -0700

I made one from 3/4 playwood, 2*6's and some heavy gate hinges.  It rides on the back of my 5' tiller and leaves a 2 1/2' bed.  I cut 4 plywood strips about 9" * 3' and screwed 2 onto each 2' piece of 2*6.  The hinges were bolted onto the tiller and then onto the sides I had just made.  ( My prototype had been a single sheet of plywood bolted to the tiller - the bolts tore through the wood in a hour of work )  The hinges let me swing the side in to the width, and centering I want.  I then screwed another piece of plywood across the top to hold them in place.  Works fine.

I'm not sure if its better to have long sides or short sides - long sides seems better as slowly squeezes bed in, but short ones may let the tiller itself do the work -  it will kick material out the hole and draw in from where it packs on the sides.  Anyone know?  Long sides seem to ride up onto the bed; may even be lifting the tiller a bit.

It'd also be nice to add a roller to the back to pack the bed down, and a furrow maker and driptape dispenser.  Heh there's a product I could sell!