market-farming - Re: Organic waxed boxes-reuseable?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Sawyer <css AT ioa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic waxed boxes-reuseable?
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 06:09:56 -0500

We pack all our stuff in new boxes for our wholesale customers. Our
customers appreciate it and keep coming back. It has paid off for us and
keeps us looking professional. When offered the choice to buy from a
farm who uses old boxes and one who packs in new, the restaurants and
grocery stores will usually pick those farms who pack consistently in a
professional manner. We pay .80 for a 1/2 bushel box and 1.15 for a 1
1/9 bushel box. It seems expensive at first but now it is part of the
cost of doing business and we are used to it.

Used boxes are reserved for CSA folks and farm use moving stuff to
tailgate and back.