market-farming - Herb sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "gutierrez-lagatta" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Herb sales
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 01:31:51 -0500

This varies from state to state and municipality to municipality - but
Alex is pretty much correct here. I have grown and sold herbs and
greens in Florida and Alabama. You might still need the following:

1. Business license/permit - issued by the state, county or city you
are in, check with all of them. You will need to check with every
county and city that you plan to sell in, not just where you are
growing...

2. Sales and use tax registration - aargh! (as a wholesaler you might
not have to charge sales tax, but in some states you still have to
send in monthly reports to tell them you owe them NOTHING!) If you
sell retail you might have to charge sales tax and send it in to the
state/county/etc on a monthly or quarterly basis.

3. Zoning - be sure regulations allow you to grow on a commercial
scale. This is especially important if you plan to put up a
greenhouse or want to have animals as a source of fertilizer or want
to do any retail sales. Farm stands are often allowed but check with
zoning first, this might only apply if your land is zoned agricultural
and you are only selling what is grown on the property.

4. Fictitious name registration if you're doing business under an
assumed name

5. Grower's permit - issued by the extension service, which might
exempt you from #1 aand exempt you from paying sales taxes on
fetilizers and seeds

If you are selling produce as "ready-to-eat" or doing any processing
whatsoever such as chopping, mixig, drying, you will need to have a
licensed food processing facility which involves the health department
and the FDA. I suggest that you get Sandie Shore's book Growing and
Selling Freshh Cut Herbs.

> If you're in the USA, farmers in all the states I know about aren't
required to
> have any kind of permits. Unless, of course, you're doing some kind
of food
> processing or preparation.

Adriana Gutierrez
Green Cuisine