market-farming - Re: flea beetles (again)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Sawyer <css AT ioa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: flea beetles (again)
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 06:09:42 -0500

Jennie Lee wrote:

> y chance that artificially introducing beneficial insects can have
> any detrimental environmental effects? Just curious (and cautious) -

I too wondered about this, but it seems these nematodes do not over
winter and need to be replaced every year. These are not artificially
produced organisms, just relocated. Personally I think these biological
methods are better than just killing everything that moves with DE or
pyrethrin. At our farm we have five types of lady bugs, seraphid flies,
tricogamma wasps and several other beneficial insects working hard. We
also farmscape to promote increased populations of these beneficials.

Chris