market-farming - Re: flea beetles (again)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jennie Lee <tulipcreek AT dixie-net.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: flea beetles (again)
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 1956 01:56:08 -0600

Hi everyone - back to the flea beetles again -
I told my resident farm hand/ engineer / husband about the nematode idea. He's an ecologist at his day job and ventured the observation that it might not be such a good thing to introduce an organism not already present in our soil. He deals with the fall out from larger scale situations like this every day at work.
Anyway - I was wondering if this issue had come up at SAWG or in other discussions of introducing beneficials elsewhwere. Is there any chance that artificially introducing beneficial insects can have any detrimental environmental effects? Just curious (and cautious) -
Jennie Lee
Tulip Creek Farm
Oxford, MS