market-farming - Re: Fresh food and produce markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ron Malor <rmalor AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fresh food and produce markets
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:01:57 +1000

Have to be VERY careful about generalising this. Down my way I get around 1600mm (approx 62 inches) of rain. Almost all during winter. Unless you are extremely careful then ploughing could see all your topsoil on someone else's property pretty quickly. All my land is on limestone karst and some of it is fairly steep. Not ideal for cropping, nor sustainable. A lot of the dairy farmers in this region (if they haven't got dirt suitable for cropping) diversify into other grazing enterprises, eg angora goats, prime lamb etc. This means that the infrastructure (eg yards) and skills (eg husbandary, sheering etc) can be more profitably used. Diversification doesn't necessarily mean heading out into totally new areas. But probably the situation on the south coast of NSW is likely to be quite different to here under the Western Tiers.

Regards to all,
Ron...