market-farming - RE: 1 Bushel Lettuce Spinner

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adam Hainer" <anhainer AT syr.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: 1 Bushel Lettuce Spinner
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:49:54 -0500

That's not a bad idea. I've been looking for other ways too.

I have watched my neighbor, a beekeeper, over and over again use a big
stainless steel honey extractor to extract honey from the frames. Although
this is for honey it uses centrifugal force and if the slots for the frames
were replaced with a plastic netting I believe it would work well.

Come to find out this stainless steel model with a motor is about $900 so I
did a little research and found this:

http://www.beesource.com/plans/20frext.pdf

A homemade, relatively cheap, $50-75 extractor.

I have used one of those Johnny's salad spinners on a farm I worked at and
it worked rather well, but it could barely hold enough if you needed to get
the greens dry. You would still have to do ridiculous amounts of work. This
idea would hold alot more.

My only concern is bruising, although I don't think it would be a problem.

Has anyone got any other ideas? Old washing machines, etc...???

Thanks,
Adam Hainer