market-farming - Re: Fertilizing and tomato growth

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fertilizing and tomato growth
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 13:22:18 -0500

I did tire stacks also last year, until I learned that the heavy metals in
the tires can leach into the soil. Have you ever had your soil tested after
being in the tire stacks? I'm curious if this leaching really does occur.

I've heard that the treads also carry a lot of toxic cadmium which is on the surface of the tires and does wash off with rain and watering and does get on the food. I guess I heard that plants would also take it up. A lot of cadmium in your tomatoes is not a good thing.

Sorry, I cannot give a source for this information but at the time it was suffecient to stop our low income (no yard, no soil) tomato planting project.

-Allan