market-farming - Re: Fertilizing and tomato growth

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: WSM311 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Fertilizing and tomato growth
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 13:09:26 EST

I did tire stacks also last year, until I learned that the heavy metals in
the tires can leach into the soil.  Have you ever had your soil tested after
being in the tire stacks?  I'm curious if this leaching really does occur.

I have read a bazillion studies on tire leaching. I am NOT worried ;-) Tires get used a lot by municipalities.....sometimes ground up in water applications, in paving, etc. They have found no leaching.  I suppose it's possible, but how do heavy metals come out of rubber? The steel belting?

Automobile tires are composed of carbon black reinforced rubber. Typical composition of tires is 62% styrene butadiene copolymer rubber, 31% carbon black, and other materials, such as extender oils, sulfur, zinc oxide and stearic acid, which are present in smaller amounts.

One of the major concerns for scrap tire derived carbon is the presence of leachable materials. Initial results of the U.S. EPA extraction procedure and soxhlet extraction are very encouraging and show that the material is essentially free of leachable chemicals.

http://www.engg.ksu.edu/HSRC/95Proceed/flanigan.html

Wendy   (wsm311 AT aol.com)
Peace and Carrots Farm
Vermont