market-farming - Re: Sungold splitting problems

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sungold splitting problems
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 08:07:43 -0500

So..for you more traditional growers, it may be worth increasing the
amount of nutrients you feed these plants. In hydroponics, a higher
level of nutrients is reported distort the leaves but at the same time
it produces fruit with thicker skins and better texture and flavor. I
would assume the same would be true in conventional soil culture.

Adriana Gutierrez
Birmingham

So, what and how do folks feed their tomatoes? I've always grown large (long!) starts and planted them into holes dug with posthole diggers. I've filled the bottom half of the hole with fairly raw compost. Recent readings have mentioned that tomatoes do not need a lot of fertility and are productive on poor soils. This is so contradictory to earlier readings (in which tomatoes were seeded right in raw garbage) and my direct experience.

I also like to apply fish and kepl foliar every two weeks.

Anyone find a good organic commercial fert for tomatoes?

-Allan