market-farming - Re: Organic Food Chain Store

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT snip.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic Food Chain Store
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:27:38 -0500

Marj wrote:

>So, is it ethically wrong to shop in an organic foods store that is part of
>chain? Does the chain store concept make an organic foods store
>unacceptable? I'd be interested in knowing what others think about this.

Here in Southeastern PA, the health food stores grew up in the Main Line and
other very weathly areas. They have marketed themselves as an "upscale"
place and they price based on the customers they are trying to attract. The
closest one to me used to brag in the newspapers that their customers made
an average of $75,000/year. (One of my friends [a brilliant computer
programer who probably makes double that] used to joke that I was the one
that brought the average down to $75,000 -- if you shopped there regularly,
you'd need a higher income!) They had no commitment to seeing that
low-income people had access to quality food, they hired part-time staff so
that they didn't have to pay benefits and until very, very recently, their
organic produce was shipped in from CA or NC because they "didn't want to
deal with a bunch of different farmers -- one supplier is easier."

Considering that I had low-income people joining the community garden
SPECIFICALLY to raise organic food for their children because they couldn't
afford the prices at the local health food stores, I was not so inclined to
give the health food folks any more of my business than absolutely
necessary. I always knew the prices were high, but when the local Acme
started carrying processed organic food and the prices were not just cents,
but whole dollars (!!!), cheaper, I knew the local folks had to be gouging.
Then Fresh Fields moved into the Main Line and lots of the rich people
started going there because the selection was better and so were the prices.
The local health food stores screamed to high heaven, but considering that
they had little to offer besides the fact that they were "local businesses,"
not too many of us bled for them -- especially since many of the farmer's
markets were started because these folks WOULDN'T sell produce from local
growers because "it's too much trouble." Trader Joe's just came in near me
and the prices are *excellent*, the selection ample and they've taken a
pledge to not use GMOs in their products. So, for around here, I'd
encourage folks who want to eat "organic" to buy from a reputable company
for processed food, whether the local grocery store or Trader Joe's and to
go to a farmer's market or roadside stand for produce and meat (we're
getting more rotational grazing around here and the quality beats the
supermarket stuff hollow. Plus, you're paying the farmer directly, so
you're keeping that land sustainably grown).

I think the answer to Marj's question depends on your local area -- you
support who is producing a superior product AND fits in with your ideals.
Here, I don't think the health food stores generally fit that mold, but if
you have local businesses that do, by all means, they should be supported by
the community in turn.

BTW, I love Lucy's "Microfarmed" idea -- goes for the cachet AND says what
we're all about in one tidy word! :-D

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of