market-farming - farm visits by customers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jim and Julie Vaughn <jjvaughn AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: farm visits by customers?
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 06:41:27 -0600

How do most of you handle farm visits by customers? We have a couple of
open farm days a year(Baby Goat Day in the spring and another day in the
fall), but are always having other requests for visits. We've found the
two open days allow us to be ready and to have a "visitor frame of mind".
I still work off the farm with Julie here full time, so time and focus
are very important to us. But on the other hand, farm visits usually
make good customers into great customers. Just wanted to get the list
feedback and ideas on this.

Do any of you charge for tours to non-customers. We don't have the staff
to do field trips, but a B&B that we work with is interested in farm
tours for her guests, most from outside our customer range. We estimate
most would stay 1 to 2 hours, but there is the down time in waiting, no
shows, etc.

Thanks
Jim

Rocky Glade Farm