market-farming - Re: yard long

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: yard long
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:31:56 -0600

> Rob, how many WEEKS of harvest should one expect to get from yard
> longs? From other pole varities?
>
> Are there ways of extending the harvest? (I don't mean through the
> weather, I mean to keep the vitality of the vines producing.)
Allan - since Rob answered for me yesterday I'll shoot this back this
morning -

I just checked my harvest records and the beans were planted at "bean
planting time" - probably mid to late May. I started picking them on July 7
and picked steadily until the end of August - then they sort of came back at
the end of September. We had an unusually dry year and I know that affected
them and also there was a 2 or 3 week span in there when I was in the midst
of salsa making that didn't allow me time to pick them regularly and I think
that caused a set back in the production. This year I'll put the drip down
and keep them picked well and I'm sure they will do very well - might put in
a second planting in early July.

These beans are definitely something that should sell to the restaurants -
they make such a nice presentation and I don't mind picking them nearly as
much as regular bush or pole beans for some reason. I just tie them in 1/2
pound bundles with raffia - takes 30 seconds - and lay them in a basket.
Always catches peoples eye. I suggest that people leave them whole and
steam them and drape them around the outside of the plate. They love them.

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas