market-farming - RE: Duration of juglone (walnut root residue) in soil?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Duration of juglone (walnut root residue) in soil?
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 21:14:59 -0500

For what it's worth: I, too, planted a row of tomatoes essentially under a black walnut, as stupid as it sounds. The tree was a beautiful black walnut and it was east of the main garden. In the first two east rows, I planted tomatoes. Didn't even realize what I did until a visitor said 'Funny, I didn't know tomatoes could grow this close to a black walnut."

The following year, I planted winter squash in those rows. The vines did great and in September we harvested a bumper crop of GROUND HOGS!!! (one actually had a burrow right below the trunk of the tree.)

-Allan