market-farming - Re: Fencing the market garden

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fencing the market garden
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 21:26:24 -0500

Have you considered electric fencing? A lot cheaper (except for the initial outlay on the energiser), than conventional fencing, dead easy for one person to erect, fast to erect, and nearly all of the components (wire, insulators etc) are reusable. It can be configured to deal with nearly any type of beast. Also can be used to prolong the life of physical barrier fences which are passed their "use by" date. I use it extensively to keep cattle and lambs in paddocks and hares, wallabies and wombats out of the garden area.

Ron - Thanks for the tip. Electric is where I was last year. Now I understand what the term 'psychological barrier' means. I need to have a fence which is pretty much fail proof. Electric fences used to hold goats, sheep, cows, ground hogs, rabbits, foxes and kale poachers out of the garden are, alas, doomed to failure at some point, even if it's simply due to a lightening strike.

I'll be honest with you: it's the damned goats that change everything.