market-farming - Seeds and Organic Certification

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Seeds and Organic Certification
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 02:36:41 -0800

Hi Allison,

To me the "commercially available" clause has meant the seeds must be available through normal farm seed channels in normal farm quantities AND in the varieties you grow.
So if Early Girl tomato seeds are the only ones available and your farm is know for Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter, you needn't worry about procuring organic seed. Most certifiers are interpreting this provision in this way.

I hate seeing a great farmer like you getting an ulcer on "what ifs." Call your certifier and ask them what they will be requiring.

This could be a niche market opportunity for some of you to contract grow organic seeds.

Marcie
Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle
3377 Early Times Ln