market-farming - Re: Improved Okras?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MeLani M" <mmaysen AT alltel.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Improved Okras?
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 18:58:04 -0600

Just my $.02,

This past summer I grew Cajun Delight, instead of my usual Clemson Spineless.
(FYI - I live in Southern Missouri where we have humid and hot summers.) I
harvested my first Cajun Delight Okra in June, which is very early for our
area. I was the first at our market to have Okra and my customers commented
on the fresh appearance and taste. Even the larger pods that 'got away from
me' were tender, and my customers soon learned that as well.

Also, the Cajun plants seemed "leafier" and looked healthier at the end of
summer than my Clemson usually do. For me, it was worth it to get that early
jump with a tast product.

MeLani
Clever, Mo.