market-farming - plant nutrition and pest attack

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: M McGuire <Michael.McGuire AT uvi.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: plant nutrition and pest attack
  • Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 12:56:56 -0500

Good germplasm and proper plant nutrition will eliminate most of one's pest problems. My experience leads me to conclude that when you have a pest problem, it indicates either a problem in soil biological fertility / plant nutrition, or else the use of poorly adapted varieties. When a problem arises that needs immediate attention, I get good results using biorationals or least toxic chemicals together with (and this is important) a balanced, biologically active foliar fertilizer such as kelp or fish extract or compost tea. I assume some of the pricey formulations such as AgPro would also work well. Foliar calcium supplements are also highly recommended where soil Ca can be limiting. I have read reports that whey or milk at about 10% is an excellent source of plant available foliar Ca, though I have never tried it myself.

Hi All,

Like most moths, Sphinx are attracted by light. You may find you have less problem with tomato beds positioned furthest from your night lighting. Also, I found an excess of nitrogen in the plants ( compared to a balance with potassium and phosphorus and calcium) is more attractive to all pests. You might want do do some soil testing and consider especially a foliar calcium to improve the cell wall structure and balance the nitrogen. This helps prevent blossom end rot also.

  • plant nutrition and pest attack, M McGuire, 12/07/2001