market-farming - Re: Estimating Yield for Garlic and Onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Kris Chand <kchand AT island.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Estimating Yield for Garlic and Onions
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:37:48 -0700

Allan
We have been growing garlic for the last five years. "yield per pound" of
seed garlic is very difficult to determine because the size of the bulb
and the number of cloves vary a lot. we use the bulb as the base. Each
bulb has more perdictable number of cloves/bulb that gives you the number
of cloves that you can plant. For hard neck Spanish Roja ( similiar to
German Red) we use 7.5 cloves per bulb.

Here in BC, all seed garlic is sold by the bulb- not pound. We have some
seed garlic available for sale - limited amount. If you need some , you
can sent a message or call. We are certified organic market farm.
Hope this helps.
Kris Chand
Blue Heron Farm
250-954-0764