market-farming - Re: market-farming digest: Maybe Leaving (Update)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming digest: Maybe Leaving (Update)
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:53:27 -0400

Lots of things going on, lots of decisions looming.

Yesterday I interviewed for a clerical job in Rochester, 100 miles away. It's a door into a good company with room for growth and if they offer, I'm going to accept and rent a room up there during the week, do my best to find safe homes for the animals and sell this place as fast as I can complete with an auction of all of my personal stuff that won't fit in a rented room.

A possible housemate is making noises about moving in next week. He says he understands that I need to collect rent and a security deposit but his cash is not in my hand yet so I'm not spending it or turning away anybody who responds to my local ads. First one with the rent and deposit is the one that God wants in here.

Thanks to all of the folks from the list who sent private words of encouragement. The ones who told me to quit whining and go get a job, well, I'll live despite you so there.

Two mortgage companies are expressing willingness/interest in refinancing this farm with as much as $30,000 extra cash to fancy it up and advertise it as a petting/tourist farm and education center. I hadn't thought they'd consider me since I'm not working but it doesn't seem to bother them.

If the weather cooperates tomorrow I'm taking my friendliest goat to the farmer's market and selling zucchinis and handing out brochures from his pack panniers. The market runs from noon to seven but we'll just be there 12-1 and 5-7. Goats are the poster children for ADD; one or two hours of this sort of gig is about their limit.

On Friday morning I'm meeting with a consultant from Cornell's New York Farm Net. On Friday afternoon I'm giving the tour to a real estate agent.

On my way back from Rochester I toodled around the Conesus Lake and Dansville areas. I'm going to check with real estate people over there -- my membership farm idea might be a really good one that just needs a larger population base to work with.

The Farm Net consultant says I should stay here, she agrees with me that this area really needs what I want to do. Well, I need to be able to make a living. Sustainability is subsistence if it doesn't include the economic piece of the equation and if the buying public doesn't start to Get It there aren't going to be any farmers left, just the auction distributors.

Dori Green
Corning, NY