market-farming - Re: market-farming Pond Plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming Pond Plants
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:30:01 -0400

Take a look at http://www.mellingers.com . If I stay here I'm planting some of their bamboo in my bog next year, and building a koi pond near the house and nursery area from which I'll grow and sell koi and pond plants and fountains to the rapidly-encroaching Yuppie Horde (are they invaders or customers, who knows).

Bamboo can be VERY invasive. But of course it's useful and marketable as an edible and for garden structures.

http://www.richters.com is another possible source for pond plants, especially water-loving herbs.

Cattails are also edible and ornamental, and they naturalize nicely. Horsetail, iris, joe-pye weed, boneset, horseradish, elderberries, and rampion are other plants that prefer damp feet. If you're doing pond plantings don't neglect Purple Loosestrife.

Marketing all of these is another discussion and another whole full-time job.

Dori Green
Corning, NY