market-farming - land

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: land
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:33:03 -0400

I despair everytime I see a huge new subdivision go up in my town. There is
no doubt the increased population is stressing the infrastructure. I do
think a moderate increase in lot size would be a good idea. Maybe some
creative cluster housing, with green spaces. However we are also on the
other side of the land fence. Presently we live on the 85 acre family farm.
In the not to distant future it will belong to us and my sister in law. We
will have no legal right to tell her what to do with her half. And beyond
that it puts my stomach in a knot to think that the town population thinks
its right for the few large land owners left to "save" the town. The
majority of ( town population) whom live on former farm or wooded land.
My husband and I and even my sister in law have and continue to toy with
land preservation, we are not at this point ready for it in a "donation"
sort of way.
The town officials could care less. They form committees about open space
and do nothing. My husband even told them he was open to some sort of
conservation restriction, they were not interested. They did buy almost 5
million dollars worth of land under the guise of open space. But when you
study the size and location of the lots I think you'll see that as soon as
some town use comes up a school a park whatever that land will be used.
We don't trust the town, they don't care that we've not sold and not sold
for years. And yes I think "the guy should get to do what he wants with his
land" in whatever way is legal. But............there in no reason that the
private sector or gov. sector can't buy the land at its fair value.
Beth
> In our town, pretty much everybody has the "a guy should get to do what he
> wants with his land" attitude - with a strong ag preservation undertone.
> But when push comes to shove, the "a guy should get" attitude prevails.

  • land, Hook Family, 08/15/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: land, marc, 08/15/2001