market-farming - Watermelons

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Vic & Pat Jackowsky" <jackow AT gmi.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Watermelons
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 21:03:45 -0500

Hi all,

Does anyone grow watermelon?  This is the first year we're growing them and I don't know how to tell when the big suckers are ripe.  I've always heard when the stem starts turning brown but that ain't happening and they are huge!  None of them are jumping up and down saying "pick me" so I'm lost.  I heard Paul Harvey say take a broom straw and lay it on the melon...if the straw turns, it's ripe. That works for watermelon we've bought but I don't think he meant to take a broom straw to every melon growing on 2 acres.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
Pat