market-farming - Re: market-farming digest: July 09, 2001

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming digest: July 09, 2001
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:17:32 -0400

One local market manager told me that with three produce vendors they weren't accepting any more farmers at their farmer's market. Seems pretty bizarre to me.

At another, one of the vendors has locked up the organic lettuce market for a major grocery chain, covering the large cities of Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton and the small ones of Elmira and Ithaca. He's a very nice guy and his produce is beautiful, but why he has to horn in on the only outlet the rest of us have left... but the rules don't forbid it and at least he really is a farmer. He's got the large commercial coolers for removal of field heat, yadda yadda. My lettuce is good but I'm not bothering to haul it in and I'm planting just for myself and my few CSA members for the rest of the year.

I'm checking out a Wednesday market tomorrow. Again it's a 25-mile drive, and as soon as I get an off-farm job I'll have to drop it but what the heck.

Dori Green
Corning, NY