market-farming - RE: Perforated Bags for Lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Perforated Bags for Lettuce
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 21:33:48 -0500

Pak Sel
7205 S. E. Johnson Creek Blvd.
Portland OR   97206
Marc Andresen
800 635-2247

They last well with rinsed lettuce in them at market, and then in the refrigerator for a week if I want.  The bags last longer than the lettuce does.

The ones I use for lettuce are gussetted - very nice.  # 5's (Dori, I think I told you I had gotten #10's - I checked, and it is #5's)  whose dimensions are 5x3.25x13" and 250 of them cost $27.71.

I also tried some saran coated 140 K cellophane bags - they are 98% biodegradable, as opposed to the ones above, which are 100% biodegradable.  I got them for selling earthworm castings, since the earthworm castings soil is alive, and is just the sort of thing that breaks the bags down.  Sure enough, after 3 weeks, the bags started biodegrading.  So, now I bag them immediately before market, and tell people that they will biodegrade in a few weeks, so be sure to use them before then.  Kind of feels like a James Bond movie, or perhaps Get Smart - self-destructing earthworm casting bags!!!!!  This one was #3, and costs $27.33 for 250.  The dimensions are 4x2.75x11, and they hold 2 pounds of drier earthworm castings.

                                            Jill