market-farming - Re: fm associations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Petersons <petersns AT mail.whidbey.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: fm associations
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:12:12 -0700

Are there any organizations/associations for farmer's markets??

Liz Pike

Check out the Washington State Farmer's Market Association at: http://www.wafarmersmarkets.com/home.html

Both of the markets I sell at belong to the association. Membership makes market insurance available, and in the past individual vendor liability insurance was also available from the Association. I appreciate the ground rules for a farmer's market - some markets refine the rules even more. I've found the discussions of brokers/resellers on this list valuable, as both markets struggle with the question: Do brokers make a market more interesting to customers by providing produce marginally available in the local area or do they constitute unfair competition to the local grower? So far the WSFMA rules have worked fairly well as guidelines. I also appreciate the WSFMA requirements on the ratio of farmers to other types of vendors. They help market managements keep in mind that a farmer's market should have farmers not predominately baked goods and crafts.

Molly
Molly's Island Garden
Langley, WA

  • fm associations, Liz Pike, 06/11/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: fm associations, Petersons, 06/11/2001