market-farming - Re: broccoli buttoning and cucumber beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mmneedham AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: broccoli buttoning and cucumber beetles
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 12:20:44 EDT

In a message dated 06/09/2001 11:31:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
fullcircle AT jps.net writes:

Bolting  really is triggered by temperature in broccoli (and
crucifers) not day length..

I wasn't commenting on bolting.  I was commenting on the statement,

Once the seeds start to mature, the plant will stop blooming and put most of
its
nutrients into seed production.  This means that we can keep plants
fruiting all season (or until they die) by harvesting fruit before seeds
start to mature.  (True for annuals.)

It seemed to imply that if you kept harvesting you could control the plant's
cycle.  I was taught this was not always the case.  Guess I'm going to have
to hunt up those notes to explain this more fully.

Marj