market-farming - Re: broccoli buttoning and cucmber beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mmneedham AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: broccoli buttoning and cucmber beetles
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:16:24 EDT

In a message dated 06/08/2001 10:04:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com writes:

Once the seeds start to mature, the plant will stop blooming and put most of
its
nutrients into seed production.  This means that we can keep plants
fruiting all season (or until they die) by harvesting fruit before seeds
start to mature.  (True for annuals.)

Actually, I think it gets a bit more complicated than that.  I think the
example given was basil, but I'll have to look in my notes to see.  At any
rate, it seems to me the flowering and seed-setting in the example given to
me was determined by day length, so the grower had to work around the summer
solstice in order to take advantage of this trait.  Sorry this is so vague...

Marj