market-farming - Re: Making a fortune :) & looking for new members

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Making a fortune :) & looking for new members
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 12:37:23 +0000

Beth wrote, snipped most

>I chuckled when I read this. For the first two years of our CSA we had a
>fellow working with us. We "bored" the heck out of him because we we so
>"timid". He kept saying if we hired a couple people we could double or
>triple CSA membership.

One of the things I have learned from reading this list is that most
market farmers are quite self-reliant, tending to do much of their
work themselves. Believe me, I understand the good help situation.

Additionally I have learned that getting people signed up for shares
of a CSA farm is not always an easy process and I have been
thinking about how you could increase your share $ignup$ without
going to a lot of individual sales work.

The right time to do this might be over the winter.

Here is what I concluded:

Without advertising regularly, reaching people with the interest and
means to buy a share takes talking to a large number of people.

Assuming you draw on a populous area to attract CSA share
subscriptions, the city or town may possess one or more health and
exercise clubs with an owner or manager willing to put out some
sales literature for your farm in exchange for a commission on each
subscription sold, or a free full or partial share after you sign up "X"
number of paid subscribers who mailed you a signup form and check
with their club's tracking mark on it.

By targeting health and exercise clubs, you increase the exposure of
your message to a very likely interested audience, one of the keys to
marketing success.

Secondly, many health clubs offer nutritional products as commission
agents and you might gain a customer for your farm from their fresh
juice bar, especially if you offer the types of produce they want.

Just a thought I felt worth sharing.

Good weather to you all,

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

  • Re: Making a fortune :) & looking for new members, jay gee, 05/27/2001