market-farming - Slugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana Gutierrez & Dennis LaGatta" <gutierrez-lagatta AT home.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Slugs
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 02:18:26 -0500

A friend is sending me a slew of rooted watercress cuttings so that I
can set up a watercress bed. She has warned me that her beds have an
established slug problem, so in all probability the cuttings wil have
some lurking. I'm familiar with all of the normal slug treatment
methods ranging from beer, Escar-go, copper, DE, etc, etc. My
question is this:

Is there some effective way of treating the cuttings before planting
them whichwould kill any slugs on them but not hurt the plants? I'm
thinking of immersing them in something (perhaps salted water with the
roots not submerged?) and then rinsing before getting the plants
re-established. Any thoughts? I understand Bordeaux mix is also good
for slugs as the copper in it repels the slugs and can be used as a
spray in lieu of copper flashing around the perimeters of areas you
want to protect. I have seen references to the use of BM on peach
trees, etc but not on leafy greens.

Whatever I use will be rinsed off, I just don't want any residual
effect that will harm plants or people.

Adriana Gutierrez
soon to be "The Herb Lady"
Birmingham, AL

  • Slugs, Adriana Gutierrez & Dennis LaGatta, 05/17/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Slugs, Lucy Owsley, 05/17/2001