market-farming - Bone dry in the east

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Bone dry in the east
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:33:08 -0400

No rain for 5 weeks, have to set irrigation just to loosen soil to plow, the
covercrop rye sucked the soil dry, most years farmers use rye as a way to dry
out the soil, Mothers day plant sales set a record, our local produce auction
opened 4 weeks ago and shipped 4500 packages the first day of asparagus,
arugula, parsley and spinach,its been very bizy ever since, Dandilion is a
major early crop that always brings a good price my neighbor shipped 40 acres
of the "weed" and now is planting the field to cabbage.
Hundreds of acres of row covers really hastened the season but prices were
very low due to huge amounts of southern imports, processing spinach is in
the second- third cutting, and PYO strawberries begin this week...Good luck
to all.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/

  • Bone dry in the east, sunnfarm, 05/15/2001