market-farming - Re: parsnips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: parsnips
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 11:42:39 -0400

Martin,

I've found that covering slow germinating seed (my experience is with
carrots & parsley) with a thin layer of sifted compost speeds germination.
I also get more complete germination- the first time I tried this with
carrots, instead of pressing the seed into soil, the carrots were so thick
we spent many hours thinning.

I know the compost acts as a mulch, holding moisture right at the top of
the soil where the seeds are. (I''ve carefully removed the thin layer and
observed this.) One thing I've wondered is if there's something chemical
or biological about compost, beyond the physical mulching, that helps
stimulate germination.

Whatever forces are at work, I've consistently gotten excellent, faster
germination by covering direct seeded beds with compost. This has meant
less expense because I've needed to buy fewer seeds and less money and time
watering before germination. I have also noticed the soil temps rising
faster in these beds due to the darker color on the surface- meaning
earlier planting.

I have finally gotten around to adding compost on the surface in my mature
beds, not working it into the top 6". This avoids destroying the structure
built by the soil life. And it's the way nature does it- from the top
down. I do mix it into new beds after the first tillage.

Sorry about the long reply- I was on a roll there and find it hard to
stop. For me, everything is so connected I tend to start at a point and
keep going until I wind up back where I started! (My daughter, reading
over my shoulder, is suggesting that I'm going on like an elderly gentleman
[not her exact phrasing] telling pointless stories.)

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm

Martin Koenig wrote:

> Any tips on germinating parsnips in heavy soil other than covering them
> with vermiculite? I understand that they produce weak seedlings and
> that germination is slow so I'd like to do whatever I can to help them
> along in my less-than-perfect soil.

  • parsnips, Martin Koenig, 04/28/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: parsnips, Alex McGregor, 04/28/2001