market-farming - Intro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: GmaSue <gmasue45 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Intro
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:36:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Everyone,
I've been on the list for about a week now and
have really enjoyed all the discussions. My name is
Susan and I'm in So. Calif. near the city of San
Bernardino. There is a vacant lot behind my house,
1.41 acres that I would like to grow herbs and flowers
on to sell at the farmer's markets, and other outlets.
The owner of the land is willing to work something out
with me as far as me using the land. It is landlocked
and until he gets access by way of an unused railroad
track, he can't build homes there.
Any suggestions as to how I can work something
out with him? Money is in very short supply. Any
suggestions as to what to grow? I'd like to grow
Organically, the ground has been disked twice a year
over the last 5 years but not sprayed with anything.
The soil is sandy around here but grows weeds really
well :-) There are no trees, it's gets lots of sun.
I submitted a rough plan of what I'd like to do
to the City and am waiting to hear from them. I know
that because I'm in a residential district I can't
sell directly to the public. What kind of insurance
should I be looking at? What else should I be
considering?
Thank you,
Susan