market-farming - Re: Bill Moyers Trade Secrets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bill Moyers Trade Secrets
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 06:37:35 -0500

> I missed the Trade Secrets show - do you know if there is going to be a
rerun or if a video is available? I would really like to see that. > Marie
in Missouri

Marie,
There is a video available, I hear. I guess you would order it through your
local public television station - or at least they could direct you to where
you could purchase it.

Along a bit of a different vain, with some sililarities is a new book called
_Trust Us, We're Experts: How Industry Manipulates Science and Gambles with
Your Future_
Sheldon Rampton and John Stauber

Here is a review from the Barnes and Noble page:

Over the past decade, corporations and public-relations firms have seized
upon a remarkable new way of influencing opinion called the "third-party
technique." The method is simple-just put your words into the mouth of
someone who appears impartial, such as a doctor, professor, watchdog group,
or an "expert" of some kind. Written with biting humor and penetrating
insight, Trust Us, We're Experts! exposes the current and very effective
methods of opinion manipulation practiced by the corporate powers that be.

Author Bio: John Stauber is the founder and director of the Center for Media
& Democracy. He and Sheldon Rampton write and edit the quarterly PR Watch:
Public Interest Reporting on the PR/Public Affairs Industry.