market-farming - Re: More bad luck starting plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: More bad luck starting plants
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 23:00:45 -0500

So how about it you organic purists. What are you using to sterilize your
equipment?
> Marlin

Martin,
I don't know if your problems are due to bleach or not. But as to
your question about how organic gardeners wash their trays:

I never use bleach - since reading about what happens with chlorine in
the environment, I never touch the stuff anymore. It is not allowed in my
house. My understanding is that bleach is not allowed in organic ventures -
whether they be vegetable growing, or food processing.

I clean my sinks with baking soda and lemon, or baking soda and vinegar.

I wash my trays with water, and let them dry. A friend on the list here
uses vinegar. I have used vinegar to wash out things before, so it seems it
would work well for trays too.

After seeing Trade Secrets (Bill Moyers), I am thinking I should get all
wood flats. But that will be a few years in the doing. Until then, I too
will be using the plastic ones that I have until they wear out.

Jill