market-farming - Manure Issues

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Manure Issues
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 06:54:06 -0600

There is no evidence that amending soil with manure is responsible for e
coli in organic produce. But, as a matter of fact, I have never seen any
evidence that there is a problem with e coli in organic produce.

If the poster is referring to the accusations from the Hudson Institute (via
Dennis Avery) look at the 1995 CDC data upon which Avery was basing that
claim. Those data do not even suggest that there is a problem with e coli
across the industry. A lettuce grower's salad mix was found to be
contaminated with e coli. One grower in one year should not indict an
entire industry for unsafe growing practices.

That would be like indicting the entire auto industry for the 1971 firebomb
Ford Pinto. Fewer people have died or become ill with e coli poisoning
related to organic produce than probably died in that car. Does it mean
that other auto makers might produce unsafe cars? No. You can't draw that
conclusion. In the same way, can you draw the conclusion that organic
produce is unsafe based upon problems with ONE producers lettuce in ONE
year? No.

Would any of you fertilize a vegetable crop for current season sale with raw
manure?
Would any of you harvest vegetables that were recently fertilized with raw
animal waste?

I think that the e coli issue has never been properly clarified. I suspect
that this type of contamination has more to do with the lack of sanitary
restroom facilities for agricultural workers than with growing practices.
As yourself how a lettuce or strawberry picker gets to a restroom with
facilties for thorough handwashing afterwards? I haven't observed this type
of general access. With the features of their work process and
compensation, I suspect that they are using the fields and moving right
along.

Finally, if any of you are aware of information about e coli contamination
of organic produce since 1995, please pass it along to me. I try to keep
track of the issues Avery raises about organic growing. It makes for
interesting conversation at the farmers' market.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del