market-farming - Re: Any E-mail programs other than Eudora or Outlook?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mckemie AT inetport.com
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Any E-mail programs other than Eudora or Outlook?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 08:38:53 -0600

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 07:24:25AM -0600, Del Williams wrote:
> Just curious Willy, if you haven't purchased any software in 10 years what
> are you running on your Linux machine? Are you telling me you write all
> your own software or that you are running 10-year-old software?

I have written none of the software that I am using. I migrated from
DR-DOS to Linux about five years ago. I am using "old" software only
for my long term record keeping; the internet software is quite modern.
Linux as well as most of the applications mentioned below are "open
source" and free. Linux was written by an unpaid army of volunteers
who were synergistically connected and collaborate via the internet.

I run my old DOS record keeping applications under Linux's dosemu, an
emulator. These old DOS apps are dBaseIII+, SuperCalcIV, and a
genealogy program, BrothersKeeper. Many would consider these programs
to be obsolete, but I have been using them many years and have data
files dating back to 1986. I find that they meet my needs and
that adopting newer programs would be burdensome.

For web browsing, I use netscape when required for viewing images or
doing secure transactions. However, I much prefer lynx, a text browser
which is MUCH faster than any graphical browser. I do intend to soon
check out opera, which is a graphical browser with a much smaller foot
print than netscape.

MC is a Norton Commander clone (file browser) that also serves me well
as a ftp client. Several other ftp clients (and servers) are
available. MC also provides my primary text editor, mcedit, though
many others are available: vi, emacs, pico, joe, jed to name just a
few. I don't really do any word processing.

I use mutt as my mail program, though pine, elm, netscape communicator
and others are available.

For image editing, there is XV and [a program whose name does not come
to mind right now]. Cropping and that sort of thing.

Those are the programs I USE regularly. There is a wide variety of
programs available that have been developed and ported to make windoz
users more comfortable. WordPerfect, StarOffice, AbbiWord. There are
literally thousands of programs with unix backgrounds that are available
for Linux. Of course, most are beyond my areas of interests.

--
Onward! Through the Fog!
Willie