market-farming - Re: Any E-mail programs other than Eudora or Outlook?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: marc AT aculink.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Any E-mail programs other than Eudora or Outlook?
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 09:00:35 -0700

ANY software is subject to vandalism (virus). It had
absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft. If Linux becomes
the de facto standard it will have vandalism applied to it.

When I was in college we were required to write a simple
program in assembler language for a certain computer that
was vandal proof. The actual program was a few hundred bytes
but the protection was over 60 kilobytes.

It's the same with security for your property and other
"protectionistic" schemes. We'd have to give our entire
income over to the government to TRY to gain 100% freedom
from criminals, pesticides, GE, unemploymeny and all those
other social problems and such and we'd still be vulnerable.

There is no replacement for personal responsibility and
action.

DO use virus scanning software.

DO NOT open attachments.

DO trash attachments NO MATTER who from (Yes, even Mom)
unles prior agreement is made.

DO require only text on a newsgroup.

DO raise cain with your elected representatives about GE and
pesticide pollution and the legislative poor relative
treatment of the small farm.

DO get involved with Federal, State and local politics
related to ag issues.

DO browse virus, hoax, SPAM, hacker and other related
informational websites to gain education and other peoples
experience about what you can do to protect yourself and
what you are helpless against.

Or maybe not.

> What is not commonly reported in the media is that almost all viruii
> and worms are exploits of microsoft weaknesses. If you don't run
> microsoft, you are not impacted.

  • Re: Any E-mail programs other than Eudora or Outlook?, marc, 03/17/2001