market-farming - Re: disinfecting Tomatoes stakes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: disinfecting Tomatoes stakes
  • Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 15:54:29 -0500

Its very easy if you use the standard 1x1" stake, a stock tank waterer or
bath tub
will hold hundreds at a time, or a 55 gal drum will hold 200+ stakes although
you
have to turn them over because stakes are too long for a barrel, add a gallon
of
bleach plus water or use a disinfectant like greenshield of triathlon,
whatever
way let stakes soak a few hours then start another batch with fresh
disinfectant,
if you have thousands you can wrap a pallet load in plastic and release methyl
bromide, some folks with alot of stakes put them in a greenhouse then
release MB,
and fumigate the house and the stakes, some folks simply resell the used
stakes at
the farm market to gardeners...
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ