market-farming - RE: Seven day Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Seven day Market
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:26:24 -0500

No leg pulling- honest. This guy was amazing. I think he felt that he hadn't
worked a full day if he stopped at dark.

And your system is the best I've heard of for an area where a farm is
surrounded
by it's customers. Do you do any "customer events" on your farm to maintain
your
personal connections? Or do you have another way to do this?

I'm thinking here of the excellent point that "Joey" made about personal
relationships with customers. It reminded me of what Alison Weidiger said
during
their presentation at the SAWG conference. She told the story of a customer
who
called to see if she could come to the farm for a tour. Alison told her that
their customers were always welcome to come. She said that the customer
answered
in a sad voice, "I thought I was a friend." This illustrates how people like
make that link "Joey" mentioned.

Another pearl of wisdom from "Joey": "...we stay small in order to keep this
spirit about our stand." I have had to keep reminding myself that getting
bigger
is not the way to make my farm profitable- and not just economically. I need
do things better and diversify in all ways, not emulate corporate America's
constant and insatiable growth.

Thanks for the reminder, "Joey."

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm