market-farming - Re: TRACTORS-implements

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sudoa Farm <awarren AT jetstream.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: TRACTORS-implements
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:31:36 -0800

Hi Tom, the basket weeder and the finger weeder are made by Buddingh Weeder
Co. 7015
Hammond Ave. Dutton, Michigan 49316.

Those tools and others can be seen in the book: "Steel in the Field" outlined
and with
excerpts at: http://wsare.usu.edu/docs/steel/contents.html

I use3 tools basically, the basket weeder belly mounted on the farmall is
ground driven
with chains and the depth adjusted with touch hydraulics. It scuffs out small
weeds and
doesn't throw soil unless I travel really fast which takes more nerve than I
can usually
muster, but I can get very close to the rows and do 4 rows planted 12"
apart-it hoes
all the small annual flushes right out .

You can use Lillistons under the farmall belly too. They are rolling toothed
spiders of
heavy steel. They're effective to throw soil over the small weeds in row and
rough out
all the weeds between, even well established -. I have 2 gangs (of 5 spiders
each)
which I mount behind the tractor on a tool bar and adjust 3 ways: I can
turn them to
fit the shape of the bed and to throw soil away or toward the row.

Its too laborious changing the buddignh to the cultivatore on the Farmall so
I use a
rear mounted s-tine danish cultivator which will vibrates and can handle
even well
established perenials. I use these mostly for pathways as the lillis do fine
in the
beds. I'm going to use some vegetable knives this year, on that tool bar, to
get under
the canopy of bushy and vining crops like squash. All these tools I
mentioned, and
more, are covered in detail with manufacters addresses in Steel in the Field.
purchased the buddghing new, all the others I got cheap at auctions and they
are around.
Spring Farm Equipment Auctions!! (The lillistons are made on huge tool bars
with dozens
of "gangs" - my 2 came off of one of these big units) The basket weeder was
about $ 1500
which may sound like alot but with 15 acres of vegies it paid for itself
quickly -we do
next to no hoeing now. And its quite fun. Does anyone use a flex-tine weeder?

Anne

Tom Wikstrom wrote:

> What are the specialty cultivators that you use on the Farmall Super C? I
> have one, but have only used sweeps. Am looking to improve my cultivating
> techniques. Any indication where I could find more information on basket
> weeders, finger weeders etc. would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Tom Wikstrom

  • Re: TRACTORS-implements, Sudoa Farm, 01/22/2001