market-farming - Re: transition to organic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Frank Teuton" <fteuton AT total.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: transition to organic
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:21:31 -0500

www.sare.org

www.attra.org

http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/nop2000/nop/finalrulepages/finalrulemap.htm

And look under certification. As mentioned, she will need guidance from a
local certifier.

Another good plan, if she isn't already doing it, is to send soil samples to
Dr Ingham and see what is needed to reboot the soil food web for good
production. www.soilfoodweb.com

HTH,

Frank Teuton---noting that nothing keeps you from selling what you grow
during transition, only not as organic, eh? They decided not to allow for a
'transitional organic' label...

> > I have a friend who is interested in converting her farmland to organic
> and
> > asked me for advice. She cannot do without the farm income, so going
cold
> > turkey like we did with the whole thing is probably out of the question.
> > suggested she might take 100 acres at a time (I don't know just exactly
> how
> > much land she has, but it's several hundred acres I think), plant winter
> > rye after harvest in the fall for plowdown in the spring and begin her
> > rotation. Is there a book or publication to help guide someone in this
> > situation? Thanks.
> >
> > Marie in Missouri
> >

> > ---
> > You are currently subscribed to market-farming as:
stewart AT watervalley.net