market-farming - Re: transition to organic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "nan and stewart" <stewart AT watervalley.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: transition to organic
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:32:41 -0500

Hi Marie
Regarding making a transition to organic/sust.
There is a wonderful publication called "Switching to a Sustainable
System:Strategies for Converting to Sust/Organic Farming Systems" by
Frederick Kirschenmann for the Northern Plains Sust. Ag Society...
written 1988
They say not to reproduce without permission, but if you cannot get it, I
would be happy to send you a copy (just email me privately)
The address is NPSAS RR1 Box 73 Windsor, ND 58424 (No phone number given)

It is not specific just to that region (though the examples are)

It won't give all the answers, but it is a GREAT publication for shifting
paradigms and he outlines what are realistic and UNrealistic assumptions and
expectations

The two books from SAN(Sust. Ag Network - it's on the web) are also great:
Building Soils for Better Crops and Managing Cover Crops Profitably
you can call them at 802-656-0471

Also, ATTRA at 1-800346-9140 has everything under the sun for organic/sust.
ag and it is all FREE!

hope these resources help,
nan j.
dancing goats farm