market-farming - What is a farmers market or direct marketing association?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jennifer-Claire Klotz" <jcvk AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: What is a farmers market or direct marketing association?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:17:49

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 19:12:24 , "Jennifer-Claire Klotz"
<jcvk AT hotmail.com> wrote:

>Annnnnnnnnnd....if you are thinking about starting a farmers market or
>direct marketing associations we are partnering with NAFDMA (North American
>Farmers Direct Marketing Association) to have manuals on how to start an
>association about a year from now.

What is a "direct marketing association" as opposed to a farmer's
market, farmer's marketing cooperative or a farmer's trade
association?

Good question and the lines are a little fuzzy.

Direct marketing association is one that we are "loosely defining" as a group which seeks to improve or facilitate direct marketing (Farmers markets, roadside, CSA, pyo.....) as it's primary objective. There are a lot of fruit and vegetable producer associations or sustainable agriculture groups that have some activities (benefits and services) that assist farm direct marketers or "facilitators" (i.e. extension agents) but they are not 100% dedicated to direct marketing. We would include NAFDMA (http://www.nafdma.com) in this group.

Farmers market association is basically the same, however doesn't deal with all forms of direct marketing, only farmers markets. This is where it got a little fuzzy because included in the list are groups like the California and New York Federations of Farmers Markets but also groups like Greenmarkets. The Federations are really more facilitators whereas Greenmarket is actually running markets.

The only cooperative on the list at the moment is Commodity Growers out of Kentucky since they are really geared towards getting producers out of tobacco and are heavy into direct marketing.

There are only about 45 on the list - farmers markets and direct marketing associations - one national group, several regional groups, many state groups and a few local groups.

I don't know if I answered the question - it is really a question of if their primary objective is to improve/facilitate some form of direct marketing - this isn't the case for most cooperatives and producer associations......

Claire