market-farming - Re: Grass Fed Beef/Digest Version

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Aozotorp AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Grass Fed Beef/Digest Version
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:22:53 EST

In a message dated 1/10/01 8:41:33 AM Mountain Standard Time,
Earthfarm1 AT aol.com writes:

<< Good day:)

First..is there a Digest version? If so, Lawrence , would you please put me
on it. Thanks:)

Some great discussion on "Making A. Living." Keep up the dialogue.

I'm going to try and develop direct marketed pasture fed, healthy
beef...i.e.
lower fat, and lower cholesterol. Problem is trying to produce an animal
that
will have great consumer eating satisfaction with lower fat. Selecting breed
and crosses seems to be unusually difficult due to lack of research, and
personal favorites.

I'd love to hear more from folks raising grass fed beef.

I buy from the Lasater Ranch in Colorado:

http://www.lasatergrasslandsbeef.com

About Lasater Grasslands Beef®
Born, Raised, and Finished On Grass Pastures
Our family and friends have been eating free-range beef for years. Now we
want to share this flavorful and tender product with you. Only cattle grazing
freely on grass pastures can produce meat this healthy.

Lasater Grasslands Beef® comes from free-range cattle that are born, raised
and finished on the range. Grass-based beef production is a sustainable
function: It is protein converted from renewable forages that are not
otherwise available for human consumption . Our cattle are never fed animal
by-products.

The story begins in 1882 when Albert Hezekiah Lasater and his son Ed
purchased a cattle ranch in South Texas. In 1948 the family moved their
cattle herd to the shortgrass prairie of eastern Colorado. Cattle owned by
our family operation and our cooperators spend their entire lives grazing and
roaming freely on grass pastures.

At one time bison grazed this undulating prairie. As the bison did, Lasater
cattle coexist with coyotes, deer, prairie dogs, pronghorn, rattlesnakes, and
other wildlife. Believing that working together with nature is the best
policy, many years ago our family implemented practices that helped restore
the natural balance between animal species, domestic livestock, and man. For
half a century the home ranch has been a wildlife sanctuary. There is no
hunting, poisoning or trapping on the ranch.

The dream that became reality has resulted in the transformation of the
prairie to a condition approaching its original state. The result is
spectacular. Now grasses and forbs form a protective blanket, colored with
seasonal hues. Commercial fertilizers are not used to augment growth. Without
the beneficial impact of the grazing livestock our beautiful grasslands would
simply become dust in the wind.

Lasater Grasslands Beef® comes from animals that spend their lives on the
rolling hills of the shortgrass prairie or on grass pastures in other grazing
areas. Our cattle move through a series of pastures, grazing for short
periods, like the grazing ungulates of centuries past. This allows grazed
plants to recover during a long rest period, creating a healthy and diverse
plant community.

I always see in the Livestock Magazines about people wanting to buy his beef!

Here is an old artilce on his ranch - May 1997

http://isengrim.com/lasater.html

You may want to contact them about their cattle!