market-farming - markets was Re: Making a living

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: markets was Re: Making a living
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:42:35 -0500

>From Lawrence: >If all of the wealthiest people and all of the mega corps
treated the small and organic farming >segment of the economy fairly by, at
the least, seeking to open up access to a greater share of local markets for
>them ......

Wealthy people and mega corporations do not owe me a thing. It is not up to
them to do my business. Through hard work--either their own or someone
else's, &/or smart thinking & creative solutions, they arrived where they
are--with the money to buy my produce. No matter what their views, or
politics, or how they wear their underwear, if they did not provide jobs &
income to the communities, I would have no customers. It's up to me, not
them, to find, open, or create my own markets. Kinda like the old joke of
the man praying for God to rescue him from a flood. He'd turned down
several offers of rescue earlier. By the time the water forced the man on
the rooftop, God replied, "I've already sent 2 boats and a helicopter, what
more do you want?"

I'm not defending irresponsible big business, but neither do I resent them
simply because of their size or legal status. I'm just saying we have to
think smarter, as they did, to see what we can use to our advantage--and
sometimes the key lies in their methods. I want to know how they did it--so
I might repeat their good fortune--or learn from their mistakes.

Anyway, all this talk led me to wonder about the various markets we all use
and need. Of course, we know about the standard: farmer's markets, roadside
stands, CSA's, & restaurants. There must be others we haven't considered.
What other markets do y'all utilize, or have thought of creating?

Liz with fingers crossed...got leads on a farm!!
Winston Salem NC

This email has been scanned by Always Online for viruses.
We provide email virus scanning for all of our customers as a free service.
However, this still does not eliminate the need for a personal virus
protection program on your computer.
From Lawrence: >If all of the wealthiest people and all of the mega corps treated the small and organic farming >segment of the economy fairly by, at the least, seeking to open up access to a greater share of local markets for >them ......