market-farming - Re: Making a living

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Making a living
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 09:43:45 -0500

I wondered how many on the list have employees? It is a real struggle for me
because I
am trying to weigh what I can realistically do by with just my husband and I.
We live
in an area where there is a lot of demand. As always the main problem for me
is in the
production end of things. Can I deliver the 'goods'? At what cost to me
and my family
do I deliver the goods? I know all of you know this is hard work! I hate to
sound like
I am whining but I can't deplete myself for several months out of the year to
break
even. I am not even sure I can do that for a profit! I saw a web page for
an organic
farm in New England I believe that is selling organic eggs over the internet
for 14.00 a
doz.!!!! They are being advertised as being high in omega 3 fatty acids
which if I am
not mistaken our pastured poultry would be as well. Am I cheating myself
because I
don't sell my eggs for even a fifth of that amount?
For the first time since we have been on this farm I feel like I am losing
my
direction. I had a goal and it wiped me out. I am the mother school age
children (8
and under) with a husband that has a full time job. How do you all do it?
Sue